Home Discussion Forums Announcements Hidden eBay Description Issue -Updated 11/8/2019 2 PM EST

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Brandon Thompson 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Manning
    John Manning

Update: eBay is aware of the issue and working on resolving it soon. No action will be required.

Due to a new development with eBay that we are currently investigating, current and new listings are not showing their Descriptions on eBay.

The issue appears to be blocking parts of the description enclosed in the Mobile Description identifiers. By default, we enclose you entire description in these tags when submitting to eBay. This feature has been working correctly for a few years, but is now being handled differently on the eBay site. We’re working with them to resolve this issue without any changes being necessary, if possible.

As a workaround, in SixBit, click File > Options > Submitting Listings and uncheck the option to “Set the contents of the Description field as the default mobile description.”

New listings should go up with the correct HTML. Existing affected listings should be fixed by highlighting them in the Check Listings > Running mode and right-click Send Revisions to Site.

We’ll update this as we get more information.

Thanks,

John

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by John Manning John Manning.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by John Manning John Manning.

Senior Developer

Zbigniew
    Participant

I added this to my css file as a workaround and my listings display properly without revising.

#ds_div div[typeof=”Product”] span[property=”description”] {

display: block !important;

}

The original html code added by Sixbit (or eBay?) had display: none.

WILLIAM SHOUSE
    Participant

Having the same problem… ‘it affects viewing ended listings, too. However, everything looks normal when viewed from my phone.

So I need to revise all 30 thousand of my listings, or are you coming up with a better solution?

Robert Vary
    Robert Vary
    Participant

When I tried to fix the problem by unchecking the box and then using the “Send revisions to site” method, it didn’t work.  I found that I actually had to go into each description wrapper and make a change.  I do this by typing a space somewhere at the bottom of the wrapper.  SixBit then offers to revise affected listings, which I think is working.

Ben Hoffman
    Participant

After seeing this notice I have been checking some of my listings.

I list on eBay.ca, some of the listings I’m checking are not showing the description on .ca but they are being shown on .com

Pierre Aydin
    Participant

On Mobile Phone the description of some listings don’t show up – for some reason there is a meta tag description is shown – I reached out to the template designer and was told that we had to add the following code to SB, not sure where to add this.

<span property=”description”>[your description summary goes here]</span>

Very strange – We are using same Description Wrapper to all our eBay listings but some show the correct Product Description on Mobile but some listings don’t until I click on the Description Link

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar Pierre Aydin.
    Pierre Aydin
    Participant
    <span property=”description”>[your description summary goes here]</span>
    John Manning
    John Manning

It looks like you’re limited to 800 characters between the tags, are some of them exceeding that? https://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/customizeyoursummary.html

Senior Developer

Brandon Thompson

If the issue is found to be that they are simply over 800 characters, you can use the [[eBayMobileStart]]  [[eBayMobileEnd]] tags in the description editor in SixBit to tell eBay which 800 characters you’d like to use in your mobile description.

- SixBit Developer

Pierre Aydin
    Participant

thank you for the info but can you help me with the code you gave me – where do I put this, attached is the description wrapper file/code, would appreciate your help.

Thank you

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John Manning
    John Manning

The wrapper already has the div tag around the [[Description]] variable. So if your description itself is less that 800 characters, you should be good leaving it as is. If you have an Item with a longer description, then you can include those tags in the actual description to include the shorter summary you want to show from that.

Senior Developer

Pierre Aydin
    Participant

ok got it but I still don’t understand why on mobile phone some of my items’s description shows the meta description – has nothing to do with item desciption, not sure how to eliminate the meta tag, where is it coming from, when I do view source code, I see the meta description but most of the items are fine, not sure how to get rid of this meta desc. and not sure where it’s coming from, does ebay inserts it?

I even shorten the description under 800 characters to do a test and still does not show the proper item description on Mobile.

Thank you

Pierre Aydin
    Participant

Also, can you please take a look at this error from SB, when I apply the new Description Wrapper that the developer gave me that SB does not apply the changes – getting the following program error:

Node “<span property=”description”></span>” was not found in the collection
    Parameter name: node [System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException]
    Stack Trace
    at HtmlAgilityPack.HtmlNodeCollection.get_Item(HtmlNode node)
    at HtmlAgilityPack.HtmlNode.RemoveChild(HtmlNode oldChild)
    at HtmlAgilityPack.HtmlNode.RemoveChild(HtmlNode oldChild, Boolean keepGrandChildren)
    at SixBit.Business.Entities.ReplacementVariables.CheckValidMobileSummary(StringBuilder sbHTMLContent, Boolean mobileTagDefaultOption)
    at SixBit.Business.Entities.ReplacementVariables.CreateDescriptionEbay(Object localObject, Boolean isPreview, DescriptionWrappers OverrideWrapper, Boolean isEditorPreview, Int32 currentUserID)
    at SixBit.Business.Entities.ReplacementVariables.CreateDescription(Object localObject, Boolean isPreview, sbSitesType site, DescriptionWrappers overrideWrapper, Boolean isEditorPreview, Int32 currentUserID)
    at SixBit.UI.HtmlEditWindow.xtabEditor_SelectionChanged(Object sender, SelectionChangedEventArgs e)
    End Stack Trace

attached is the latest code, would appreciate your help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Brandon Thompson

Hard to say what’s going wrong with your description. Based on the file you attached it appears the description is repeated several times and may have some formatting that our editor doesn’t like.

That being said, I think the most expeditious road to take here is having a tech here remotely get you fixed up. If you could, please put in a support ticket through the client area here on our website or by sending an email to support@sixbitsoftware.com. In the ticket please include a link to this forum thread for context.

- SixBit Developer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2020 SixBit Software. All rights reserved.